Estate Planning & Administration
All estate planning — regardless of the size of the estate — involves structuring an individual’s affairs to provide for the orderly transfer of assets to family members, charity or other intended beneficiaries. We handle smaller estates requiring only a simple will to larger, more complicated estate situations requiring sophisticated estate planning documents. Our firm is proud to offer a wide range of estate planning alternatives in a timely and cost-efficient manner. When it comes to organizing your personal affairs or those of a loved one, you can rely on our judgment and experience to help you resolve difficult issues with confidence. Because each estate planning situation brings with it unique issues, we present a number of practical, proven alternatives available to deal with these issues.
- Our assistance in estate planning matters can include:
- advising on all aspects of the disposition of one’s assets
- preparing wills, trusts and other estate planning documents
- determining the amount of federal and state estate taxes and how these taxes will be paid
- avoiding probate and the associated costs and delays
- transferring family businesses
- charitable gift planning, including charitable trusts and private foundations
- structuring arrangements for minors and incompetent or incapacitated adults that may last for several years or a lifetime
- valuation planning
ESTATE ADMINISTRATION, PROBATE AND GUARDIANSHIP
In addition to the emotional loss experienced following the passing of a loved one, a court-administered proceeding known as “probate” often is required before a decedent’s assets can be transferred to family members or other beneficiaries. In larger estate situations, additional complexities arise in the establishment and administration of trust arrangements and the payment of federal and state estate taxes typically due within nine months following the date of death.
We assist families, personal representatives and trustees during this difficult period of time with a wide range of estate settlement services, including advising on all matters of estate and trust administration and the preparing and filing of various estate tax returns. In addition, we can assist families in dealing with the complex legal and administrative issues presented when a family business enterprise forms a significant part of the overall estate. Our estate attorneys have represented literally hundreds of estates, ranging in value from $100,000 to well over $350 million and stand ready to assist you and your family during this difficult time.